Some of you may know that Snooker is my favourite sport. In fact it’s about the only sport I like.
I had the good fortune to get up to Sheffield this weekend to see the semi-final between Ali Carter and Stephen Maguire. It was a fantastic experience – my first time inside The Crucible Theatre, which hosts the annual World Championships.
Not everybody likes Snooker, but it has taught me quite a few valuable lessons in life, so I thought I would share them with you. Here they are:
1. Sometimes there is nothing more beautiful or dramatic than the simple pleasure and pure physics of coloured balls pinging around a big expanse of the colour green.
2. No matter how good or talented you are at something, there are always people who think that what you do, or are into, is boring and stupid. Do not let this put you off.
3. No matter how good or talented you are at something, there are always people who take great delight in lining up to TELL you that what you do, or are into, is boring and stupid. Do not let this put you off either.
4. Patience is a virtue. Possess it, cultivate it, and practise it.
5. When you put a shit load of money on the table it changes things immeasurably.
6. Being on TV magnifies everything. In every sense.
7. Only about 16 people in the world are capable of concentrating and still being great when a) there is that much of money on the table and b) they are on TV with millions of people watching.
8. Being physically fit helps you to concentrate for long periods of time.
9. The older you get, the harder it is to concentrate for long periods of time.
10. Don’t keeping thinking about what you did wrong or what you’re going to do in the future. Just do what’s required in front of you really well, instead.
11. When you’re sitting in your seat, there isn’t much you can do.
12. Sometimes only a referee can create the respect that something deserves.
13. Always admit it when you do something wrong. Even if the referee didn’t see you.
14. The people of Sheffield appreciate talent when they see it.Social tagging: ali > carter > crucible > lessons > life > maguire > sheffield > snooker > stephen